In our society, from a young age people work at a career to earn enough money to take care of their family and eventually retire to enjoy the later years of their lives. While in theory this is a good plan many times due to circumstances beyond the control of the person, they are not able to enjoy the later years. Whether it is due to health issues, financial issues or other factors, caring for the elderly is a big responsibility.
For many elderly people, family members are able to watch and help care for people. It may simply be a relative to come by and help with cooking or cleaning, help with running errands or shopping, or even helping with minor medical or health needs. However, when the elderly person needs greater medical attention on a regular basis, a medical professional who specializes in the field of Geriatrics is often called upon.
Though the study of Gerontology, which is the study of how people age from middle age to the later years of life. Geriatric medicine is an important part of the medical profession. Through the field of Geriatrics the medical professions have found ways to help care for the elderly and make them comfortable. And, as our Baby Boomers continue to age into their elderly years, the field of Geriatrics will be more important and the need for medical professionals to care for the people will be even greater.
To learn more about this important field of study, including information on career opportunities, we have assembled some relevant information. Please feel free to review the information at your convenience.
What is Geriatrics?
- Geriatrics Information – Useful information for med students about the field of Geriatrics which can be used by all.
- Geriatric Information - Helpful page which provides information on a number of topics related to Geriatrics.
- Aging Information - Definition of Geriatrics as well as information on how to be healthy while aging.
- Geriatric Definition – Basic definition of what is involved in Geriatric medicine.
- Geriatric Care – Useful web page which covers many of the topics of importance for Geriatric care.
What is Gerontology?
- Gerontology Overview - Informative page which provides a helpful overview of the field of Gerontology.
- Gerontology - Professional organization which deals with the study of the aging.
- Gerontology Information – Information and resources on Gerontology are covered in this helpful web page.
- Gerontology Libraries - Information and resources on the study of Gerontology.
- Journal of Gerontological Nursing – Professional publication which deals with the stud of Gerontology.
- Gerontological Nursing Resources – Helpful web page which has a wide range of resources on nursing for older adults.
Careers in Aging
- Careers in Aging – Overview of the careers in medicine which deals with the elderly.
- Career Paths – Information on the various career paths which are available in the medical profession.
- Careers in Aging – Page which describes the different careers that can be found in the aging.
- Aging Services - Information about the careers that can be found in the field of aging.
- Career Aging Resources - Very useful collection of resources dealing with the field of aging as well as being helpful for students and professionals.
- Nursing Need – Helpful article discusses how the increasing aging population will lead to more geriatric health workers.
- Geriatric Nursing Jobs - Useful information about the employment opportunities which existing in Geriatrics.
- Careers in Aging – Information on the different careers that are available in the aging field.
- Aging and Medicine – Informative page about medicine and health among the elderly.
- Aging Careers – Education information on the careers that are available in the medical profession.
- CNA Classes – Certified nursing assistants perform much of the basic care for geriatric patients in nursing homes.
- Aging Jobs - Web page which provides information on the education needs in the aging fields.
- Aging Resources – Collection of links and resources about aging and medical needs of the elderly.
- Gerontology Resources – Information on the field of Gerontology along with helpful links.
- Geriatrics Resource Guide - Informative page which contains a wide range of information about Geriatrics.
- Geriatrics and Gerontology Resources – Resourceful page which has a large number of resources in the health field of the elderly.
We hope that this guide has been helpful in providing you with more information about the health and medical needs of the elderly. Also, if you are contemplating a career in Geriatrics, visit our site often to keep up to date on the latest in medical information.