DNP Programs in West Virginia
West Virginia DNP Programs
The field of healthcare is constantly changing to meet greater technological needs and the advancements that research provides. Skilled nursing professionals are now expected to be able to take that information and help shape hospital policies with it. With no background in leadership or management techniques, this can be a daunting task for some. DNP programs in West Virginia, which award the Doctor of Nursing Practice degree, are a great way to learn these advanced skills.
In the state of West Virginia, West Virginia University is the only school that offers a DNP program to its students. The stated goal of the West Virginia University DNP program is to 'prepare advanced practice nurses at the highest professional level of nursing practice andäó_advance the application of nursing knowledge for the purpose of improving health care for diverse populations.'
The West Virginia University DNP program is an MSN-to-DNP program, meaning that it is only available to students who have already attained an MSN. It is a 40-44 credit program that can be completed in 8 semesters. DNP students should expect a minimum of one classroom hour per registered credit per week and three outside hours of preparation per registered credit per week.
In order to attend this program, a student must:
- Meet all of WVU's requirements for applying to graduate school
- Have achieved at least a 3.0 GPA while earning his or her MSN degree
- Have a competitive GRE score
- Have a current RN license
- Hold an MSN from an accredited nursing program
- Have an advanced practice certification
- Meet prerequisites equivalent to the WVU courses:
- Advanced Pathophysiology
- Advanced Pharmacotherapeutics
- Advanced Health Assessment
- Research Process
- Submit 3 letters of reference
- Submit an essay about how the DNP program meets his or her goals
In order to get into the DNP program, an individual must submit his or her application between November 1 and February 1.
DNP Schools Near You & Online in West Virginia
West Virginia University
- PO Box 6201 Morgantown, WV 26506
Programs: Accelerated BSN, ADN, BSN, DNP, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Nuclear Medicine Tech, Nursing PhD, Radiation Therapy, Radiography, RN, RN to BSN, RN to MSN, Sonography
West Virginia University
- 300 Campus Drive Parkersburg, WV 26104
Programs: Accelerated BSN, ADN, BSN, DNP, RN, RN to BSN, RN to MSN