DNP Programs in Nevada
Nevada DNP Programs
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is a terminal level nursing degree for those who wish to concentrate on clinical practice. It offers an alternative from the research-focused PhD. Currently, there are only a few DNP programs in Nevada. These programs are offered by the University of Nevada (Las Vegas and Reno branches) and Touro University.
Nevada DNP programs share a common mission and similar learning objectives. Both strive to prepare nurses for leadership roles in clinical practice, administration, and policy. The programs have a focus on evidence-based practice and providing care to diverse populations.
Curriculum and Degree Requirements
Nevada DNP programs differ in terms of length and curriculum. Touro University offers an online program for post-master's students consisting of 33 credits and 480 supervised clinical hours (1,000 post-BSN clinical hours are required by graduation). This program can be completed in a 12-month period. The University of Nevada's DNP program has a 39 credit curriculum, and can be completed either full-time in 2 years or part-time in 3 years.
Nevada DNP programs also vary in terms of admissions requirements, but the following are common:
- Master's degree from an accredited program
- 3.0 GPA or higher (3.5 is required at the University of Nevada)
- National advanced practice certification
- Documentation of clinical and leadership excellence
- Three letters of recommendation
- Current resume
- Evidence of unencumbered RN and APN license
- Successful completion of graduate-level coursework in nursing theory, research, and health policy
- Official transcripts from all attended colleges/universities
- Goal statement
Tuition depends on the specific DNP program and is subject to change annually. Tuition at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas is not based on state of residence, and costs $600 per credit hour for all DNP students. Tuition at Touro University is currently listed at $5,000 per semester, based on a 10 credit course load at $500 per credit.