Traditional Chinese medicine, or TCM, originated from China about 5,000 years ago, and it was developed based on the understanding the relationships between the human body and the environment. This form of medicinal practice takes into account the influences of nature and the cosmos. It also incorporates Chinese philosophical and biological theories, such as the Yin-yang, the Zang Fu theory, the Meridian system, and the Five Phases. Some of the common TCM practices include Chinese herbalism, dietary therapy, acupuncture, and Shiatsu and Tui Na massage. It was only in the 1950s that modern TCM became a recognized medical system in the western world.
General History of Medicine
- Brief History of Chinese Traditional Medicine: Detailed information on Chinese traditional medicine.
- Basics of Traditional Chinese Medicine: A website dedicated to promoting understanding of TCM.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine History: A comprehensive account of the history of TCM.
- Evolution of TCM: Important events that contributed to the development of TCM throughout history.
- Famous Chinese Physicians: Well-known physicians who made important contributions to the advancement of TCM.
- Lessons of Shennong: Article that provides an interesting account of the life and achievements of Shennong, who is widely considered the father of Chinese medicine.
- Biography of Hua Tuo: A biography of Hua Tuo, one of the most famous physicians of ancient China.
- Zhang Zhongjing: Biography of well-known Chinese herbalist Zhang Zhongjing.
- Sun Simiao Biography: Article that discusses the medical theories and achievements of Sun Simiao, an important medical scientist from the Tang Dynasty.
- Li Shizhen (李时珍), Jie Zi Yuan Chong Ding Ben Cao Gang Mu (芥子園重訂本草綱目), 1657: Information about famous Qing Dynasty physician Li Shizhen.
- The NCI Library of Traditional Chinese Medicinal (TCM): A collection of articles that discuss various aspects of Chinese medicine.
- TCM Classics: List of some of the important classics of traditional Chinese medicine.
- Qi Journal: A journal that contains news, tips, and information that are related to TCM.
- Bound Feet: An overview of footbinding in China.
- Why Footbinding Persisted in China for a Millennium: A Smithsonian article that discusses the history, practice, and hazards of footbinding.
- The Shoe Man: Compelling discussion on the reasons and effects of footbinding in the Chinese society.
- History of Chinese Tea: An account of the history of tea-drinking in China.
- Chinese Tea Classification: An article that offers interesting facts about different types of Chinese tea.
- Chinese Tea & Tea Culture: Introduction to Chinese Art of Tea: Questions and answers about the origins and health benefits of Chinese tea.
- Benefits of Green Tea: Find out the various benefits of consuming green tea.
Herbs and Herbology
- Categorizing Chinese Herbs: Explanation of how Chinese herbs are categorized.
- Ginseng: Discover the various uses of ginseng, a well-known Chinese herb.
- Benefits of Lingzhi: Discussion on how the Chinese herb lingzhi can promote health.
- Dong Quai: Description of dang gui and its health benefits.
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Unlocks New Possibilities for Cancer Treatment: Article that explains the effectiveness of Chinese herbal medicine as treatment for cancer.
- Chinese Herbs and the Skin: Find out how Chinese herbs can benefit the skin.
- History of Acupuncture: A concise history of the use of acupuncture in China.
- Acupuncture: Theory, Efficacy, and Practice: Frequently asked questions about acupuncture theory.
- Benefits of Acupuncture: Learn about the many benefits of acupuncture.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine in Treatment of Opiate Addiction: TCM has been practiced in China for more than 2000 years, and for the past 200 years has been used in treatment of drug addiction.
- How China Got Rid of Opium: A document that reveals how China got rid of its opium problems.
- Surgery in Ancient China: The application of surgery and other forms of medical treatment in ancient China.
- Hare-Lip Surgery: A detailed account of the advancement of hare-lip surgery throughout the history of China.
- Evidence of Skull Surgery: A report on the discovery of archaeological evidence showing that skull surgery was performed in ancient China.
- What is Taoism?: Comprehensive definition of Taoism.
- Daoist Philosophy: List of facts that explain various aspects of Taoism.
- Taoism Basics: Article that discusses the fundamentals of Taoism.
- Eight Pillars of Taoism: Find out what the eight pillars of Taoism represent.
- Lao Tzu: Biography of Lao Tzu, founder of Taoism.
- Taoism and Chinese Medicine: Information about the relationship between Taoism and traditional Chinese medicine.
- The Influence of Daoist Principles on Acupuncture and Herbal Remedies: Learn about the principles of Taoism and how they can be applied to promote health.