Evidence based medicine is a philosophy that is now commonly accepted that believes medical decisions should be made from scientific evidence. From the evidence and subsequent decision, a course of treatment will be determined.
The Evidence Based Medicine model uses factors such as quality of life and value of life in the ultimate decisions regarding patient care. Evidence Based Medicine will gather the scientific data to help make the determination on what the eventual outcome will be for the patient when the treatment is finished.
Dr David Sackett of McMaster University in Canada is the medical professional who is generally regarded as proposing the concept of Evidence Based Medicine. Dr Sackett has written many journals and articles on Evidence Based Medicine and has come up with the framework on how medical practices and care should operate. Dr Sackett’s pioneering concepts and ideas in the 1970’s have been used and refined, and are still being used today.
Evidence Based Medicine has become one of the latest trends in the medical profession. With concern for the patient and the effect of treatment being in the forefront, Evidence Based Medicine is an important part of the diagnosis, treatment and after care process.
Many resources exist to help people understand the concept and philosophies behind Evidence Based Medicine. The concept behind Dr David Sackett’s ideas have been studied and advanced by today’s medical leaders. But his original ideas are still followed.
Here is a collection of resources on Evidence Based Medicine, to help understand the philosophy:
- Evidence Based Medicine Introduction – Duke University Medical Library information and tutorials on Evidence Based Medicine
- A-Z List of Evidence-Based Medicine Resources – Collection of Evidence Based Medicine resources
- Evidence Based Medicine Tutorial – Library of Health Services Peoria information and tutorial on Evidence Based Medicine
- Glossary of Evidence Based Medicine – Resources and glossary of Evidence Based Medicine
- Resources on Evidence Based Medicine – Information from the Dartmouth Biomedical Library
- What is Evidence Based Medicine? – Tutorial from Boston University on EBM
- Introduction to Evidence-Based Medicine-Online Tutorial – Norris Medical Library of USC EBM tutorial
- Evidence Based Tools and Resources – EBM information from Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Using Evidence to Improve Care – Information on EBM from JAMAevidence
- Applying Evidence to Health Care Delivery – Collection of evidence information from the Cochrane Collection
- BMJ Evidence-Based Medicine – Information from informedhealthonline.com
- Evidence Based On Call – Database of information on Evidence Based Medicine
- Evidence Based Medicine Definition – Definition and information on EBM
- Is Evidence-Based Medicine Patient-Centered – Definition of Evidence Based Medicine from Dr David Sackett
- A Brief History of Evidence-Based Medicine – Biographical information from McMaster University
- EBM: What It Is and What It Isn’t – Publication on what EBM is and isn’t from Dr. Sackett