Bioethics is a relatively new field of scientific study. Bioethics deals with the relationship of biology and medicine, and the ethical dilemmas that scientist’s face. There are many areas of science where scientists are faced with these difficult ethical questions.
Bioethicists are concerned about ethical topics such as euthanasia, genetics, abortion, organ donation, stem cell research and a variety of other topics. Each of these topics has been known to spark debate among the population, and people feel strongly on both sides of the debate. These debates have been in the news recently and continue to be hotly contested topics. To learn more about the subject of bioethics and many of the controversial topics, please feel free to view the following resources:
Death and Dying
- Definition of Bioethics – a definition and general information about the study of bioethics in science.
- Euthanasia and Bioethics – information about the ethics of euthanasia.
- Euthanasia World – article discussing several aspects of the ethics of euthanasia.
- What is Death? – informative look at the morals involved in death and dying.
- Bioethics of Dying – brief look at an article discussing the bioethics of dying.
- Online Bioethics Resources – informative resources pertaining to the ethical treatment of genetics.
- Genetic Ethics – information on genetic topics in science and the ethical dilemmas.
- Ethical Issues in Genetic Testing – There are several aspects of genetic testing that may lead to ethical dilemmas.
- Bioethics Resources – collection of articles in the field of bioethics and mental health.
- Ethics and Mental Health – brief overview of the ethical treatment of mental health.
- Mental Health Issues – resourceful web site containing information on mental health and bioethics issues.
- Bioethics and Mental Health – information on some common issues faced by the mentally challenged.
- Resources – helpful collection of bioethics resources, including mental health topics.
- An economic study: should we sell human organs? – this study explores whether or not one should sell human organs.
- Ethics of Organ Transplant – helpful information about the ethics of organ transplant.
- Organ and Tissue Transplant – information from the WHO about the ethics of organ and tissue transplants.
- Ethics of Organ Transplantation – comprehensive overview of the organ donation process and the ethical concerns.
- Take My Kidney, Please – the story of a woman's need for a kidney transplant, and her father's offer to donate his only kidney.
- Pro/con ethics debate: When is dead really dead? – the problem of defining death in the ICU as a function of viable organ availability for transplantation.
- Bioethics of Animal Testing – informative article on the ethical concerns of testing on animals.
- Animal Testing and Ethics – very informative resource discussing the various aspects of testing on animals.
- Animal Ethics – articles and other resources on how animals are treated in the scientific community and their place in scientific discoveries.
- Animal Testing and Ethics – helpful information on the ethical discussion of animal testing.
- American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine – The American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine advances the humane care and responsible use of laboratory animals through certification of veterinary specialists, professional development, education and research.
Bioethics Research Organizations
- Albert Gnaegi Center for Health Care Ethics
- Bangladesh Bioethics Society
- Center for Genetics and Society
- Center for the Study of Bioethics
- The Institute on Biotechnology and the Human Future
- Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics
- Kennedy Institute of Ethics
- MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics
- National Bioethics Advisory Commission
- National Catholic Bioethics Center
- Nuffield Council on Bioethics
- The Center for Bioethics & Human Dignity
- The Regenerative Medicine Institute
- The Hastings Center
- University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics
Other Bioethical Resources
- Bioethics Information Resources – collection of resources on bioethics.
- National Institutes of Health - Bioethics – informative resources on the subject of bioethics.
- Other Bioethics Resources – helpful collection of information and resources on various topics in the bioethics area.
- Bioethics Resources – information and resources on bioethics in the healthcare industry.
- Teaching Ethics for Research, Scholarship, & Practice – Useful bioethics resources from The University of Minnesota.
Suggestions? Contact us