Traditional Chinese Medicine
Traditional Chinese medicine, or TCM, originated from China about 5,000 years ago, and it was developed based on the understanding the relationships between the human body and the environment. This form of medicinal practice takes into account the influences of nature and the cosmos. It also incorporates Chinese philosophical and biological theories, such as the Yin-yang, the Zang Fu theory, the Meridian system, and the Five Phases. Some of the common TCM practices include Chinese herbalism, dietary therapy, acupuncture, and Shiatsu and Tui Na massage. It was only in the 1950s that modern TCM became a recognized medical system in the western world.
General History of Medicine
- Chinese Traditional Medicine: Detailed information on Chinese traditional medicine.
- Basics of Traditional Chinese Medicine: A website dedicated to promoting understanding of TCM.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine History: A comprehensive account of the history of TCM.
- Evolution of TCM: Important events that contributed to the development of TCM throughout history.
- Famous Chinese Physicians: Well-known physicians who made important contributions to the advancement of TCM.
- Lessons of Shennong: Article that provides an interesting account of the life and achievements of Shennong, who is widely considered the father of Chinese medicine.
- Biography of Hua Tuo: A biography of Hua Tuo, one of the most famous physicians of ancient China.
- Zhang Zhongjing: Biography of well-known Chinese herbalist Zhang Zhongjing.
- Sun Simiao Biography: Article that discusses the medical theories and achievements of Sun Simiao, an important medical scientist from the Tang Dynasty.
- Li Shizhen: Information about famous Qing Dynasty physician Li Shizhen.
- Yin and Yang in Medicine: Explanation of the relevance of the Yin and Yang theory in traditional Chinese medicine.
- Library of Chinese Medicine: A collection of articles that discuss various aspects of Chinese medicine.
- TCM Classics: List of some of the important classics of traditional Chinese medicine.
- Qi Journal: A journal that contains news, tips, and information that are related to TCM.
- Bound Feet: An overview of footbinding in China.
- Chinese Footbinding: A BBC article that discusses the history, practice, and hazards of footbinding.
- The Shoe Man: Compelling discussion on the reasons and effects of footbinding in the Chinese society.
- Stories of Footbinding Survivors: Personal stories of Chinese women who survived the agony of footbinding.
- History of Chinese Tea: An account of the history of tea-drinking in China.
- Chinese Tea Culture: A comprehensive explanation of Chinese tea culture.
- Chinese Tea Classification: An article that offers interesting facts about different types of Chinese tea.
- Ask the Tea Master: Questions and answers about the origins and health benefits of Chinese tea.
- Benefits of Green Tea: Find out the various benefits of consuming green tea.
Herbs and Herbology
- Categorizing Chinese Herbs: Explanation of how Chinese herbs are categorized.
- Ginseng: Discover the various uses of ginseng, a well-known Chinese herb.
- Wolfberry Facts: List of facts that show the benefits of wolfberry.
- Benefits of Lingzhi: Discussion on how the Chinese herb lingzhi can promote health.
- Dang Gui: Description of dang gui and its health benefits.
- Chinese Herbal Medicine: Article that explains the effectiveness of Chinese herbal medicine as treatment for cancer.
- Chinese Herbs and the Skin: Find out how Chinese herbs can benefit the skin.
- What is Acupuncture?: Introduction to the Chinese medicinal practice of acupuncture.
- History of Acupuncture: A concise history of the use of acupuncture in China.
- Acupuncture Theory: Frequently asked questions about acupuncture theory.
- Benefits of Acupuncture: Learn about the many benefits of acupuncture.
- Opium in Traditional Medicine: Find out how opium was traditionally used as medicine.
- Getting Rid of Opium: A document that reveals how China got rid of its opium problems.
- Surgery in Ancient China: The application of surgery and other forms of medical treatment in ancient China.
- Hare-Lip Surgery: A detailed account of the advancement of hare-lip surgery throughout the history of China.
- Evidence of Skull Surgery: A report on the discovery of archaeological evidence showing that skull surgery was performed in ancient China.
- Hua Tuo the Ancient Surgeon: A short article about the surgical achievements of ancient Chinese surgeon Hua Tuo.
- What is Taoism?: Comprehensive definition of Taoism.
- Taoism Facts: List of facts that explain various aspects of Taoism.
- Taoism Basics: Article that discusses the fundamentals of Taoism.
- Eight Pillars of Taoism: Find out what the eight pillars of Taoism represent.
- Lao Tzu: Biography of Lao Tzu, founder of Taoism.
- Taoism and Chinese Medicine: Information about the relationship between Taoism and traditional Chinese medicine.
- Principles of Taoist Medicine: Learn about the principles of Taoism and how they can be applied to promote health.