In holistic nursing, the nurse has to provide healthcare to a person in all facets, which include the body, mind, emotions, relationships, and environment. A holistic nursing career involves clinical practice to fulfill physiological, psychological, and spiritual healing to the patient. It also includes conventional therapies. Florence Nightingale was one of the more famous holistic nurses who believed in providing complete healing to the patient, not just based on prescription drugs.
What Is The Work Environment and Daily Routines of a Holistic Nurse?
The holistic nurse will have to set guidelines and principles through the guidebook to provide complete healthcare to the patient. The approach is mostly integrated with conventional practices, and it is acknowledged by the American Nurses Association. A holistic nurse has to follow the safety guidelines to provide the treatment. For instance, the nurse should know the excess limit when providing a massage. The nurse should also look at the patient’s history before administering any therapy. If the patient is interested in getting holistic treatment, he/she should be allowed to ask questions about the practice and its methods. Furthermore, the patient should be provided with information about the herbs used in herbal treatments.
Here are some of the duties and responsibilities of a holistic nurse.
- Providing support through proven theories and authenticated research work. The nurse should follow predefined guidelines and standards to provide healing through physical touch, care, and connectivity of body, spirit, and mind.
- The holistic approach gives importance to health promotion and prevention. The nurse has to educate the patient about self-awareness, care, and responsibilities.
- Providing nutrition and body cleansing in which the patient is given macrobiotic diet or alternative food where water therapy is combined with the diet. The patient will have to restrict regular diet and depend on certain foods to flush toxins out of the body, and increase energy levels.
- The holistic nurse uses therapies such as biofeedback, acupuncture, massage, and aromatherapy to provide healthcare to heal all aspects of mind, body, and spirit for the complete wellness to the patient.
- One of the common types of holistic treatment is colonic hydrotherapy, in which the toxin deposited in the colon is flushed out of the body through water injections. The treatment is very effective in curing terminally ill patients and providing relief to patients suffering from regular stress or anxiety.
- The holistic nurse has to be determined and self-motivated to provide desirable treatment. The nurse should be able to ease patients suffering from pain through his/her efforts.
What Education Programs Are Offered For Holistic Nursing?
To practice as a holistic nurse, you need to have experience and educational qualification in holistic nursing programs which are provided by the American Holistic Nurses Certification Corporation. To get the certification, you will have to fill the application form, write a letter of intent and then, pass the written exam. Most nursing education programs for holistic nursing are affordable, and you can apply for it if you have a high school diploma. You can follow these steps to obtain certification in holistic nursing programs.
- You can become a holistic nurse by first completing high school or getting a diploma or certificate.
- You can do a Bachelor’s degree which is related to science and health.
- After completing the Bachelor’s degree, you have to take a HN–BC test.
- You can even pursue Master’s degree in nursing.
- You can pass the advanced AHN-BC test to pursue higher education in holistic nursing.
- You will have to practice for one full year on a full-time basis or 2,000 hours within a period of 5 years to learn the theories and therapies of holistic nursing,
After you have obtained training in holistic nursing, you can get education in other nursing programs. You need to get work experience in a real environment for a fixed number of hours to retain the validity of certificate and keep the certification active for two years. You can become a Registered Nurse after doing the certification in holistic nursing by joining one of the nursing schools. You can pursue an RN program or LPN program through an accredited nursing school. You can even enroll in online nursing programs such as online RN programs or online LPN programs to get a degree in nursing. You will have to study in the nursing schools, undergo training, and do internship for a year. Additionally, you need to get certification to officially become an RN or LPN to practice in the US.
Information Related to Holistic Nursing Training
- Holistic nursing training requires you to learn the practices of homeopathic medicines, traditional Chinese medicine, Naturopathy, Ayurveda, among others.
- For mind, you will have to learn the method of meditation, and the arts, which may include dance, painting, and music.
- You will have to learn about herbs and different types of nutrition to plan diet and dietary supplements.
- Holistic nurses will also have to learn manipulative practices such as massage and osteopathic manipulation.
- The field also requires you to learn bio-field and bio-electromagnetic therapies.
What Is The Job Description and Salary For A Holistic Nurse?
The number of nurse jobs has risen in this decade and there is a great demand for specialization in holistic nursing. After completing the nursing education and training, you will have to apply for positions in health care centers that provide holistic healing. There are many career options for people who specialize in holistic treatment. The coursework is based on the student’s interest in various areas of nursing occupations, and also on the educational institution. The average salary of a holistic nurse is $45,000 per annum but the salary varies depending on the job location, experience, education, employer, and other benefits.
How Do I Get Started In Holistic Nursing?
For American Holistic Nurses Certification Corporation (AHNCC) certification, you need to follow the steps:
- Check the eligibility criteria given by the AHNCC.
- Apply for certification in holistic nursing which requires filling the application form.
- Pay the application fee which ranges from $250 to $500.
- The applicant will have to write essays where the aspirant explains how the concept of holistic nursing can be merged in real practice.
- You will get a reply from the board in 3 to 4 weeks.
- You will have to take the examination, which includes two hundred multiple choice questions and you can take the quantitative examination through a computer. The test is based on holistic nursing knowledge and health practices.
Check out these links for more information on holistic nursing.
- Holistic Nursing
- The American Holistic Nurses Association
- Standards for Holistic Nursing
- Journal of Holistic Nursing
- Holistic Nursing
- American Holistic Nurses’ Certification Corporation
- Holistic Nursing Certification (PDF)
- Canadian Holistic Nurses Association
- Real Experience of Holistic Nurses (PDF)